5 Benefits Of Giving Back To Your Community
One of my favorite sayings is, “Opportunities to give love are abundant every day, if we just open our eyes to look for them.” Taking the time out of our own busy lives to pour our love into our community has such an impact on who we are as individuals.
However, giving back doesn’t automatically mean that you must gift materialistic items! Instead, focus on giving back your time. By spending time with those who need it most, you are able to share your talents and give the gift of knowledge to others who need it. You can also radiate positive energy into your community by doing small acts of kindness, with or without any monetary actions. Whichever way you choose to give back will have huge positive benefits for not only your community, but for your health and overall well-being as well. Check out these five benefits that giving back to your community has on you:
- Boost your self-esteem — Many of us search for the meaning of life and tend to find ourselves lost in a world of uncertainty. By choosing to make impact, you can solidify any doubt and allow yourself to become self-affirming in what stage in life you are in. It is scientifically proven that volunteering is associated with high levels of overall life satisfaction. Being confident in yourself and what you’re doing can easily increase your self-esteem and reflect positively on the way you carry yourself.
- Widening your network — Though social interaction remains limited due to COVID-19, caring for those in your community has become more important than ever. When we put ourselves out there and meet new faces, doors of opportunity can be unlocked. By broadening your reach to the next city over, or even a national organization, your impact can expand to a wider range of potential difference makers and allow for a sense of belonging and trust amongst one another.
- Gain a new perspective — When making impact on others, we often take note of certain details of our own lives that we may have overlooked before. This action can change our regular thinking patterns and give us new insight into why we started in the first place. By getting involved in your community, you can gain a new perspective on how you best make impact while also understanding your own reasons for helping others.
- Unlock potential skills — When I was younger, my public speaking skills were not as refined as they are today. By getting involved in my community and connecting with other changers, I have been able to unlock my greatest potential and make impact through public speaking. From hosting an event or even speaking out on topics that I feel are important, I have been able to reach a wide audience of fellow philanthropists. Perhaps you have a skill that will be unlocked when you pledge to make impact in your own community!
- Inspire others — It is scientifically proven that a single act of kindness can inspire several more acts of generosity. Creating a domino effect of giving is a great way to share kindness, while also inspiring others to give back too. Being a witness of generosity can lead to more acts of good and uplift the spirits of those who need it the most.
Saying “Yes!” when opportunity knocks is the first step toward spreading your love within your community. Giving back and caring for one another can benefit your community and your well-being in endless ways, while inspiring others to do the same. Consider committing turning small, everyday acts of kindness into BIG actionable results for your community.